Monday, April 25, 2011

The Weekend of Brad

So Hank's friend from Penn State came down this weekend and we had a blast. Brad arrived Friday night and we had a lovely dinner of homemade pizza and salads to start the weekend right. On Saturday, the boys woke up so early to go fishing at the Rocky Broad River near Chimney Rock, NC. They were gone for quite a few hours before they came home starving for lunch. Luckily, I had some time that morning to get a lot done for the wedding...nothing like leaving it to the last minute. So, the boys ate pizza again :)

I decided to go back to the Rocky Broad with them after relaxing for a little while at the house. Everything was going good, I was the only one not in waders...but it was fun and the water wasn't too terribly cold. So, I made it through the day without getting completely soaked. I needed to go to the car and drop my real off when I realized I needed to cross the river and grab the key fob and cross again...haha (you probably know where this is going)! So worried about getting that brand new key fob wet, I stuck it in my bra with the thoughts that I won't let me chest get wet---especially in this cold water. So half way across the river, I thought I was safe~until I hit pebbles with some fast and shallow water moving over it. Apparently black rocks are the slickest. Brad saw it happen from the start, I lost my right foot balance and did a running man kind of thing until I ended up face down in the water. The funny thing is that I immediately tried protecting the fishing pole and forgot about my chest and the key fob~that's right...face first! The key fob was soaked and I was freezing! Hank came running over to the rescue and grab the fob (leaving me behind) to get the car door open because that was the only thing we took with us (that's right, didn't even take the key). Lesson learned. Brad said he was privileged to have fished with Michael Phelps...

So we relaxed to another night of pizza (keep in mind, our fridge is empty because we'll be in and out, we didn't want to stock up). Went to bed early with hopes of getting up early to head to the Davidson River in the Pisgah National Forest.

Sunday morning came pretty quick but we made time for a huge breakfast. I think the weather was around 83 degrees that day, so it was hot! We fished until 1pm and someone out of the group got the brilliant idea to go tubing. We knew we needed some calories in our system before hand, so we ate at our favorite BBQ joint first, then began our adventure seeking tubes. After a few stores and about 30 minutes, we went to Rite Aid and bought 2 flat rafts and an inner tube for Hank. We put in about a mile up from where we parked and man was it fun. I seriously can't remember a time when I laughed so hard~the water was about 40 degrees and we didn't have it was an experience! As if once wasn't enough, we wanted to do it again and headed half way up that time. The water didn't seem to be as cold the second time around. Brad got pretty beaten up~fun times! We then walked around the First Forestry School exhibit until we dried off and headed home.  So on our way back to Asheville, we wanted some good Easter food....that's right, we hit the Chinese buffet! *mmm* I tell you, it was an Easter we'll never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment